- Spread Betting News
- Football tickets
- New England kit available for pre-order
20 Handy Facts About Eduardo Da Silva
"He has a mightily impressive 73 goals in just 104 senior games for Dinamo Zagreb. He was named the Croatian First League’s Player of the Year in 2006"
So Arsene Wenger did it again. He kept his counsel while speculation mounted about what effect Henry’s departure would have on the team and delivered a signing that the media hadn’t seen coming. So who is the new Gunner with a big responsibility on his shoulders?
1. Eduardo Alves Da Silva was born in Rio Janiero but moved to Zagreb, capital of Croatia at the age of 15.
2. He has a mightily impressive 73 goals in just 104 senior games for Dinamo Zagreb. He was named the Croatian First League’s Player of the Year in 2006.
3. On international duty he has 7 goals in his 12 appearances including a hat-trick away in Israel. He took Croatian citizenship in 2002.
4. One of those goals was the looping header that went over Paul Robinson in the Euro 2008 qualifier in October 2006.
5. The previous Croatian coach did not select Eduardo for the 2006 World Cup, considering him too young. Slaven Bilic has made him a first choice since he took over
6. Last season in Croatia Eduardo delivered an impressive 34 goals in 32 appearances and he has been top scorer in the First Division for two years running. Three of these were a hat-trick against massive rivals Hadjuk Split- the first ever in that derby game.
7. Arsenal fans should remember him. The striker scored the first goal at the Emirates Stadium is a Champions League qualifier in August 2006. Arsenal won the tie 5-1 on aggregate though.
8. Eduardo showed his class early in his career when Dinamo loaned him to Inter Zapresic in 2002/03. The then 19 year old bagged 10 goals in just 15 starts.
9. The player is nicknamed ‘Dudu’ and will wear the No 9 shirt for the Gunners.
10. In the 2006 European under-21 Finals he scored in all three of Croatia’s games.
11. As well as the goal against England and hat-trick v Israel, Eduardo has scored the winner in both of Croatia’s last two qualifiers.
12. The player prefers to be called Dudu or Eduardo- Da Silva is his mother’s maiden name.
13. Eduardo plays as a left sided attacker, though he is adaptable. He’s noted for close control and positive runs at defenders.
14. When he arrived in Croatia he hated the cold, plus he didn’t speak a word of Croatian. Dinamo arranged a loan spell back in Brazil before bringing him back to the reserves. The loan period at Inter Zapresic advanced his claim to a first team berth.
15. Reports of the transfer fee vary. The BBC rates it at £7.5 million but sources at Dinamo claim it will go much higher.
16. Whatever his other qualities, Eduardo has been bought because of his reputation as a consummate finisher- which Arsenal have lacked.
17. There is another Brazilian striker called Eduardo Da Silva in European football who currently plays for Basle in Switzerland.
18. Arsenal beat off strong interest from Spartak Moscow to land the player. Juventus, Ajax and PSV were said to be ‘monitoring’ him
19. Earlier this year Eduardo was quoted as saying that Sevilla were his favourite club and his preferred destination if he left Zagreb
20. He has won 6 major trophies during his time with Dinamo, including two titles.
Latest article feedbackSHOMARI IDDI:
Yes,to my side am so happy to got such kind of stiker,this is because of our big problems of scoring agoals.We have Emmanuel Adebayor but and Robin Van Persie but we prefer more striker like van as well as you,Ade is not well in scoring a goals because his not racer like van,so we are so happy to see you in our team.
...all feedback for this article
Add your feedback
- Buy shares in your football team